Content

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Project Ten: Alone

It has been so long since this blog has been updated. I'm so sorry! Recently I began working part-time so my life has become much busier. Although having a solid weekly job is nice I have missed photography so much. SO so much. Another reason that I haven't been posting is that as a business I have decided to take a step back to redefine my photography to get a better grasp on my personal style both as an art and as a business. 

So! Several months ago I joined a Facebook group named Project Ten Challenge thanks to a recommendation of a friend. It is a group which challenges photographers to think outside of the box and express in their own way a monthly theme which is given out. I am excited to say that this is my first time participating in the challenge, and definitely will not be the last. The theme is alone. When I saw the theme, I almost immediately thought of a child, afraid in the middle of the night. I knew that I wanted to portray the genuine fear of an innocent child who feared that something is coming. Maybe the Boogeyman, maybe their own kind of Boogeyman. While working on these photos I could not help but think about children today who truly do feel alone at night, genuinely afraid of something. As a pretty emotional person, thinking about the possibilities made me want to cry. 

This shoot was possibly the darkest of my works, but it was a great experience for me. I can't thank the wonderful little girl who modeled for me. It would not have worked without her! 

My goal is to showcase photography which can send a message and strike an emotion to the viewers. Parents, I hope this one can speak to you.









See you again.

Masumi

3 comments:

Anonymous
at: March 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM said...

You did so well at capturing her many emotions! I think you must have done a great job explaining what you expected/needed her to do without telling her anything scary--for that, I'm grateful!

Unknown says:
at: March 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM said...

Powerful images. They evoke such emotion.

Masumi says:
at: March 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM said...

Anonymous, thank you! Yes she was full of life, I loved it! My little model was actually the one who was suggesting that we find something to be afraid of, like a spider or witch haha.

Jessica Downey, I really appreciate your comments. My goal is to create powerful images!

Post a Comment