Content

Monday, May 5, 2014

Budget Newlyweds: What we Gained From it.

In just a few months my husband and I will reach our two year wedding anniversary. It's crazy how quickly time flies ladies and gentlemen, especially if you're married! For those of you who don't know, when my husband and I got married both of us were still young students going for our B.A. degrees. Some may say we were reckless or even crazy for getting married when nothing was quite secure; we were poor, busy students who were also diligently working. I was paying my way through college. We were in no terms "well-off". Getting married would have meant having even less money if you add paying for rent and utilities and groceries every month. Being well aware of what kind of financial future awaited us, we were both ready to live a committed life, through both stability and instability. Today, nearly two years later I want to gladly tell you all that I am so glad to have married the love of my life. Honestly speaking, our banks may be even lower at the moment than where it was when we got married! Speaking of money, yes we have less, but being newlyweds on a budget has given us both so much more than what money can buy.

Allow me to share with you though, a few things I gained from being married on a budget.

1. Gratitude
Being budget newlyweds has really given me a sincere appreciation for things which people give to us. I've noticed that since getting married I have felt so much more thankful for each thing which people give us. I know the cost and value of the item, I understand that I myself would not have been able to buy or make the item which a kind gives us. Each act of kindness, whether it only requires time or also money becomes a huge deal, because I now have a better understanding of what it takes to conduct that act.

2. New Skills
Being on a budget eventually led us to find alternative ways to provide for ourselves with less financial expenditure. Still being a budget couple a year and a half after being married, Chadsen decided to learn how to bake bread to save a few bucks on our grocery receipts. Boy has that interest blossomed into a great talent. Chadsen is now quite a bread-baker! Luckily I get the benefit of it ;). I, having started photography as a hobby about a year and a half ago, have now taken in enough knowledge to turn it into a part-time business at times which help out with our income from time to time. Photography as you know is such a great passion now, and it has helped me see more ways to view the beauty in life.

3. Gardening 
One thing Chadsen & I have taken up to also help provide for ourselves is gardening! I used to NEVER be interested in gardening - it came off as boring to me. Now it is so exciting. Watching for seeds to sprout day after day or eagerly waiting on fruit-indicating flowers to bloom is so exciting, especially because I used my own hands to create an environment to grow them. This year we are growing purple potatoes, green onions, two (three?) different tomatoes, bunny grass, tulips, ranaculus, and Japanese eggplants. Our bell peppers which survived the winter from last summer is also regrowing haha! I cannot wait to see the results of our labor! 

4. A Stronger Bond
I think my favorite part about being budget newlyweds is that as a couple my husband and I have grown closer together. We work hard at school and work, knowing that we have each other's support. We try to help each other's dreams and interests flourish even during times of business. It has not been the easiest, but the tough times are in my opinions, the best time to prove to ourselves how much we care.








I learned that it is just fine to be on a budget. :) I now know that the things that can be gained while striving to be the best you can is far more valuable than the number on your bank. 

If you are a budget newlywed also, I'd love to hear what you've gained from your experience :)

Masumi

2 comments:

Unknown says:
at: May 6, 2014 at 12:08 AM said...

Hey Masushi! I haven't talked to you in a very long time. I feel I'm a bit late to say this, but better late than never right? Anyway, Congratulations to both you and Chadsen on being married for over 2 years! How time does fly by! You guys have looked perfect for each other since the day you guys both met and I'm real happy for the both of you! No, I'm not close to marriage yet, but I feel that I have gone through somewhat of an experience like this before with my family. I wouldn't say that my family was too close to each other before after my parent's love life took the turn downhill, but because of the situation that my dad, my sister, and I took, we went from the top to hit rock bottom, but we made the best of it. And maybe it was because of use growing up as well, we had to adapt and adopt certain skills like planting, cooking, knowing when to revisit the grocery stores and what nutrient is necessary for survival. I couldn't live on cup noodles everyday, so it's been a great ride to learn new things that can help us become successful, and the experience of being on a budget really did help my family become closer to each other as to work as a team. I would love to see your new photos uploaded when your garden is completely done! I'm sure it will look really beautiful!

Masumi says:
at: May 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM said...

Kevin,

Thanks for such a thoughtful response. It is so inspiring to hear about your family's story during your own financial hardship - what you guys did, did not do & how it helped you guys grow closer as a family unit. Trials truly can become an opportunity to become more close-knit to others you love, and you guys proved it! I'll definitely post pictures of our little garden, hopefully soon!

Thanks again!

M Kat

Post a Comment